Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Big Fat Trombone

Onda Vaga. I want this band for my next party.
Of course, that party might have to be in Buenos Aires.


I have a soft spot in my heart for trombone players, having been a not very good one early in life.

All musicians who play in public have to be willing to put one's self out there. But there are few instruments I can think of that require more heart and fearlessness. In other words, trombone players have to be brassy. It's a sound that can't be ignored. And when the trombone solo comes, everyone else has to listen.


The problem is that playing a trombone isn't all that easy. Your lips create the sound. The positions along the slide are merely approximate. Some notes will inevitably be off. But, the notes that are on, to me, are more beautiful than a bell. And no instrument, I dare say, is more fun.

The video was recorded for a series called Take Away Shows. It's a favorite site of mine.









No comments:

Post a Comment